Seattle DUI Lawyer, Leaders in DUI Defense
Seattle DUI Attorney – If you were arrested in Seattle for DUI or Physical Control, you should consult with a Seattle DUI Attorney as soon as possible. You should not risk going to your first court appearance without an experienced Seattle DUI attorney at your side. Typically, you will be required to appear in court within hours of your arrest. At this hearing, you will be advised of the charges against you and of your rights. You will be asked to enter a plea; then the court will impose conditions of your release.
The judge may release you on your Personal Recognizance (PR) with certain conditions you must keep in order to remain out of custody. Or, the judge may also have you taken into custody until you post a certain amount of bail (or a bond) to secure your release. Seattle prosecutors often ask the judges to set high bail amounts so that the accused is taken into custody until the bail is posted. We have successfully convinced judges not to require bail but to “PR” our clients instead.
Typically, the prosecutors in Seattle also ask the court to impose onerous pretrial release conditions such as:
- Requiring installation of an ignition interlock device on any vehicle driven while the case is pending
- Total abstinence from alcohol, marijuana and non-prescribed drugs
- Staying out of bars, taverns, and parties where alcohol, marijuana or drugs are served
If you have a history of prior alcohol-related offenses, particularly those involving driving, there is a very good chance the prosecutor will ask the judge to order a very high bail amount to secure your release. In Seattle Municipal Court, some judges are known to have required $50,000 to $100,000 bail on a repeat-offender DUI cases. You should not go to this hearing without experienced legal counsel, familiar with Seattle Municipal Court, at your side. We are here for you; an attorney is available to answer all of your questions. Call us before your court hearing so we can provide you with the information and immediate assistance you need.
Contact Our Seattle Office for a Free Consultation: (206) 866-6739
81 S, Main St., Seattle, WA 98104
How Are DUI Cases Resolved?
At your first court hearing, you will be given a date to return for a second hearing, called a “pretrial hearing.” You may have several pretrial hearings in Seattle Municipal Court before your case is eventually resolved. Your case can be resolved in a number of ways. Although dismissals are rarely given, an error of constitutional magnitude or a lack of evidence could result in the charge being dismissed. You can plead guilty “as charged,” resulting in immediate conviction and the resultant consequences.
We do a thorough investigation, seeking the thread that will unravel the prosecutor’s case. We may argue motions asking the judge to throw out evidence in your case. We work toward a mutually agreeable resolution with the City, but if one cannot be found, you may assert your right to a trial, forcing the prosecution to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Our last trial in Seattle Municipal Court involved a breath test of over 0.18. Result? Not Guilty.
A conviction for DUI results in harsh consequences; we work hard to get clients out of the “DUI box” through convincing the prosecutor to amend the charge to something other than a DUI.
The penalties the court will impose for a DUI conviction include:
- Mandatory jail time
- Mandatory fines, costs, and assessments
- Mandatory suspension or revocation of your license
- Mandatory ignition interlock device on any vehicle you drive for at least a year, at your expense
- Mandatory substance abuse evaluation, and treatment, if required
- Attendance at alcohol drug information school and/or DUI victim’s impact panel
- Up to 5 years of probation with restrictions on your behavior
In contrast, the penalties for non-DUI offenses usually result in:
- No jail time
- Fewer fines, costs, and assessments compared to a DUI
- No license suspension (or a shorter suspension)
- No ignition interlock requirement
- Up to 2 years of probation
- Get Started Today with a Free Consultation
- Top 5 Questions To Ask a DUI Attorney
- Meet Our Devoted Team of Professionals
No Time To Waste! Call our Seattle DUI Attorney Today!
Contact Our Seattle DUI Lawyers for a Free Consultation: Call (206) 866-6739 or complete the form below.